Readings

Syringa's bookshelf: read

Le livre du voyage
Prom Nights from Hell
The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future
Le Jeûne
Le petit guide de la cure de raisin
Le Libraire De Selinonte
Benedict Cumberbatch: The Biography
Exploration Fawcett: Journey to the Lost City of Z
Le vieux qui ne voulait pas fêter son anniversaire
Le tour du monde en 80 jours
Professeur Cherche élève Ayant Désir De Sauver Le Monde
Elif Gibi Sevmek
Hikâyem Paramparça
The Enchantress of Florence
Anglais BTS 1re & 2e années Active Business Culture
Réussir le commentaire grammatical de textes
Epreuve de traduction en anglais
Le commentaire littéraire anglais - Close Reading
Réussir l'épreuve de leçon au CAPES d'anglais - Sujets corrigés et commentés
Le pouvoir politique et sa représentation - Royaume-Uni, Etats-Unis


Syringa Smyrna's favorite books »

dimanche 25 août 2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote


« And I swear, it never crossed my mind about Holly. You can love somebody without it being like that. You keep them a stranger, a stranger who’s a friend. »

« It was a warm evening, nearly summer, and she wore a slim cool black dress, black sandals, a pearl choker. For all her chi thinness, she had an almost breakfast-cereal air of health, a soap and lemon cleanness, a rough pink darkening in the cheeks. Her mouth was large, her nose upturned. A pair of dark glasses blotted out of her eyes. It was a face beyond childhood, yet this side of belonging to a woman. I thought her anywhere between sixteen and thirty ; as it turned out, sha was shy two months of her nineteenth birthday. »

« They were large eyes, a little blue, a little green, dotted with bits of brown : vari-coloured, like her hair ; and, like her hair, they gave out a lively warm light. ‘I suppose you think I’m very brazen. Or très fou. »

« I can’t get excited by a man until he’s forty-two. I know this idiot girl who keeps telling me I ought to go to a head-shrinker ; she says I have a father complex. Which is so much merde. I simply trained myself to like older men, and it was the smartest thing I ever did. »

« I don’t want to own anything until I know I’ve found the place where me and things belong together. »

« it’s tacky to wear diamonds before you’re forty. »

« She was well over six feet, taller than most men there. They straightened their spines, sucked in their stomachs ; there was a general contest to match her swaying height. »

« Theys ay the more stupid you are the braver. »

« Her bedroom was consistent with her parlour : it perpetuated the same camping-out atmosphere ; crates and suitcases, everything packed and ready to go, like the belongings of a criminal who feels the law not far. »

« Holly and libraries were not an easy association to make. »

« Mille tendresses »

« I wondered what his name was, for I was certain he had one now, certain he’s arrived somewhere he belonged. African hut or whatever, I hope Holly has, too. »

Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Truman Capote

« How do you feel if you’re in love ? she asked. Ah, said Rosita with swooning eyes, you feel as though pepper has been sprinkled on your heart, as though tiny fish are swimming in your veins. »

« He was a ginger colour, his skin shiny as a lemon, smooth as a guava leaf, and the tilt of his head was as arrogant as the black and scarlet bird he held in his hands. Ottilie was used to boldly smiling at men ; but now her smile was fragmentary, it clung to her lips like cake crumbs. »

« Royal’s house was like a house of flowers ; wistaria sheltered the roof, a crutain of vines shaded the windows, lilies bloomed at the door. »

House of flowers – Truman Capote

« His voice with its Cuban accent was soft and sweet as a banana. »

« To be alive was to remember brown rivers where the fish run, and sunlight on a lady’s hair. »

A Diamond Guitar – Truman Capote

« Imagine a morning in late November. »

« Tomorrow the kind of work I like best begins : buying. Cherries and citron, ginger and vanilla and canned Hawaiian pineapple, rinds and raisins and walnuts and whisky and oh, so much flour, butter, so many eggs, spices, flavourings : why, we’ll need a pony to pull the buggy home. »

« They call him Haha because he’s so gloomy, a man who never laughs. »

« ‘My, how foolish I am !’ my friend cries, suddenly alert, like a woman remembering too late she has biscuits in the oven. »

A Christmas Memory – Truman Capote

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire