Readings

Syringa's bookshelf: read

Le livre du voyage
Prom Nights from Hell
The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future
Le Jeûne
Le petit guide de la cure de raisin
Le Libraire De Selinonte
Benedict Cumberbatch: The Biography
Exploration Fawcett: Journey to the Lost City of Z
Le vieux qui ne voulait pas fêter son anniversaire
Le tour du monde en 80 jours
Professeur Cherche élève Ayant Désir De Sauver Le Monde
Elif Gibi Sevmek
Hikâyem Paramparça
The Enchantress of Florence
Anglais BTS 1re & 2e années Active Business Culture
Réussir le commentaire grammatical de textes
Epreuve de traduction en anglais
Le commentaire littéraire anglais - Close Reading
Réussir l'épreuve de leçon au CAPES d'anglais - Sujets corrigés et commentés
Le pouvoir politique et sa représentation - Royaume-Uni, Etats-Unis


Syringa Smyrna's favorite books »

mardi 31 décembre 2013

The perks of being a wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

« I just need to know that someone out there listens and understands and doesn’t try to sleep with people even if they could have. I need to know that these people exist. »

« For the rest of the school year, the teachers treated me different and gave me better grades even though I didn’t get any smarter. To tell you the truth, I think I made them all nervous. »

« But I just have never heard anyone use the words « corpulent » and « jaundice » ever in my life. That includes teachers. So, what’s the point of using words nobody else knows or can say comfortably ? »

« Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve. »

« ‘I feel infinite.’
And Sam and Patrick looked at me like I said the greatest thing they ever heard. Because the song was that great and because we all really paid attention to it. Five minutes of a lifetime were truly spent, and we felt young in a good way. I have since bought the record, and I would tell you what it was, but truthfully, it’s not the same unless you’re driving to your first real party, and you’re sitting in the midle seat of a pickup with two nice people when it starts to rain. »

« Patrick then said something I don’t think I’ll ever forget. ‘He’s a wallflower.’ »

« Sam then climbed in the back of the pickup, wearing nothing but her dance dress. She told Patrick to drive, and he got this smile on his face. I guess they had done this before. Anyway, Patrick started driving really fast, and just before we got to the tunnel, Sam stood up, and the wind turned her dress into ocean waves. When we hit the tunnel, all the sound got scooped up into a vacuum, and it was replaced by a song on the tape player. A beautiful song called ‘Landslide’. When we got out of the tunnek, Sam screamed this realy fun scream, and there it was. Dowtown. Lights on buildings and everything that makes you wonder. Sam sat down and started laughing. Patrick started laughing. I started laughing. And in that moment, I swear we were infinite. »

« And we were all giving our final presents. The outside lights were on, and it was snowing, and it looked like magic. Like we were somewhere else. Like we were someplace better. »

« And all the books you’ve read have ben read by other people. And all the songs you’ve loved have been heard bu other people. And that girl that’s pretty to you is pretty to other people. And you know that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are decribing ‘unity’. »

« An my mind played hopscotch. »

« He made tea, and I felt like a grown-up. »

« math has never made any sense to me. »

« I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they’re here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It’s like looking at all the students and wondering who’s had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why. Especially since I know that if they went to another school, the person who had their heart broken would have had their heart broken by somebody else, so why does it have to be so personal ? »

« There was this one little boy. He might have been four years old. I’m not sure. He was crying really hard, and he kept screaming for his mom. He must have been lost. Then, I saw this older kid, who was maybe seventeen. I think he went to a different school because I had never seen him before. Anyway, this older kid, who was really tough-looking with e leather jacket and long hair and everything, went up to the little boy and asked him what his name was. The little boy answered and stopped crying.
Then, the older kid walked away with the little boy.
A minute later, I heard the intercom say to the mom that her bo was at the informaiton desk. So, I went to the information desk to see what would happen.
I guess the mom had been searching for the little boy for a long time because she came running up to the information desk, and when she saw the little boy, she started crying. She held him tightly and told him to never run off again. Then, she thanked the older kid who had helped, and all the other kid said was, « Next time just watch him a little fucking better. »
Then, he walked away.
The man with the moustache behind the informaiton desk was speechless. So was the mom. The little boy just wiped his nose, looked up at his mom, and said,
« French fries. » »

« It’s strange to think about your teachers as being people »

« I almost didn’t get an A in math, but then Mr. Carlo told me to stop asking « why ? » all the time and just follow the formulas. So, I did. Now, I get perfect scores on all my tests. I just wish I knew what the formulas did. I honestly have no idea. »

« I’v been reading The Fountainhead for the past few days, and it’s an excellent book. I read on the back cover that the author was born in Russia and came to America when she was young. She barely spoke English, but she wanted to be a great writer. »

« I hope I am being a filter. »

« I woudl die for you. But I won’t live for you. »

« When I was driving home, I just thought about the word ‘special’. And I thought the last person who said that about me was my aunt Helen. I was very grateful to have heard it again. Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think everyone is special in their own way. I really do. »

« The great thing about my mom’s purse is that no matter what you need at any given moment, she has it. »

« There’s something about that tunnel that leads to downtown. It’s glorious at night. Just glorious. You start on one side of the mountain, and it’s dark, and the radio is loud. As you enter the tunnel, the wind gets sucked away, and you squint from the lights overhad. When you adjust to the lights, you can see the other side in the distance just as the sound of the radio fades to nothing because the waves jsut can’t reach. Then, you’re in the middle of the tunnel, and everything becomes a calm dream. As you see the opening get closer, you just can’t get there fast enough. And finally, just when you think you’ll never get there, you see the opening right in front of you. And the radio comes back even louder than you remember it. And the wind is waiting. And you fly out of the tunnel onto the bridge. And there it is. The city. A million lights and buildings and everything seems as exciting as the first time you saw it. It really is a grand entrance. »

« Her whisper smelled like cranberry juice and vodka. »

« It’s nice to have things to look forward to. »

The perks of being a wallflower – Stephen Chbosky

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire