Readings

Syringa's bookshelf: read

Le livre du voyage
Prom Nights from Hell
The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future
Le Jeûne
Le petit guide de la cure de raisin
Le Libraire De Selinonte
Benedict Cumberbatch: The Biography
Exploration Fawcett: Journey to the Lost City of Z
Le vieux qui ne voulait pas fêter son anniversaire
Le tour du monde en 80 jours
Professeur Cherche élève Ayant Désir De Sauver Le Monde
Elif Gibi Sevmek
Hikâyem Paramparça
The Enchantress of Florence
Anglais BTS 1re & 2e années Active Business Culture
Réussir le commentaire grammatical de textes
Epreuve de traduction en anglais
Le commentaire littéraire anglais - Close Reading
Réussir l'épreuve de leçon au CAPES d'anglais - Sujets corrigés et commentés
Le pouvoir politique et sa représentation - Royaume-Uni, Etats-Unis


Syringa Smyrna's favorite books »

mercredi 5 août 2015

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee


« When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them… »

« All we had was Simon Finch, a fur-trapping apothecary from Cornwall whose piety was exceeded only by his stinginess. »

« Maycomb County had recently been told that it had nothing to fear but itself. »

« Jem and I found our father satisfactory : he played with us, read to us, and treated us with courteous detachment. »

« She was all angles and bones. »

« Dill had seen Dracula, a revelation that moved Jem to eye him with the beginning of respect. »

« Routine contentment was : improving our treehouse that rested between giant twin chinaberry trees in the back yard, fussing, running through our list of dramas based on the works of Oliver Optic, Victor Appleton and Edgar Rice Burroughs. »

« I would be starting to school in a week . I never looked forward more to anything in my life. »

« I never deliberatly learned to read, but somehow I had been wallowing illicitly in the daily papers. »

« You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view »

« Grown folks don’t have hidin’ places. »

« Do you smell my mimosa ? It’s like angels’ breath this evening. »

« There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results. »

« It’s bad children like you makes the seasons change. »

« No matter what anybody says to you, don’t you let’em get your goat. Try fighting with your head for a change… It’s a good one, even if it does resist learning. »

« Aunt Alexandra would have been analogous to Mount Everest : throughout my early life, she was cold and there. »

« I liked to smell him ; he was like a bottle of alcohol and something pleasantly sweet. »

« You want to grow up to be a lady, don’t you ? I said not particularly. »

« Talking to Francis gave me the sensation of settling slowly to the bottom of the ocean. He was the most boring child I ever met. »

« Your daughter gave me my first lessons this afternoon. She said I didn’t understand children much and told me why. She was quite right. »

« When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness’ sake. But don’t make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles ‘em. No, ‘ my father mused, ‘you had the right answer this afternoon, but the wrong reasons. Bad language is a stage all children go through, and it dies with time, when they learn they’re not attracting attention with it. »

« Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.’ That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it.
‘You father’s right,’ she said. ‘Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.’ »

« He walked quickly, but I thought he moved like an underwater swimmer : time had slowed to a nauseating crawl. »

« People in their right minds never take pride in their talents »

« You just hold your head high and be a gentleman. Whatever’s she says to you, it’s your job not to let her make you mad.’ »

« You look like a picture this evening. »

« I do my best to love everybody. »

« Although Maycomb was ignored during the War Between the States, Reconstruction rule and economic ruin forced the town to grow. It grew inward. New people so rarely settled there, the same families married the same families until the members of the community looked faintly alike. »

« Beautiful things floated around in his dreamy head. He could read two books to my one, but he preferred the magic of hiw own inventions. He could add and substract faster than lightning, but he preferred his own twilight world, a world where babies slept, waiting to be gathered like morning lilies. He was slowly talking himself to sleep and taking me with him, but in the quietness of his foggy island there rose the faded image of a grey house with sad brown doors. »

« He said his only exercise was walking. In Maycomb, if one went for a walk with no definite purpose in mind, it was correct to believe one’s mind incapable of definite purpose. »

« ‘Do you really think so ?’ This was the second time I heard Atticus ask that question in two days, and it meant somebody’s man would get jumped. »

« Atticus had said it was the polite thing to talk to people about what they were interested in, not about what you were interested in. »

« That proves something – that a gang of wild animals can be stopped, simply because they’re still human. Hmp, maybe we need a police force of children… you children last night made Walter Cunningham stand in my shoes for a minute. That was enough.’ »

« We knew she wore a grin of the uttermost wickedness. »

« She knew full well the enormity of her offence, but because her desires were stronger than the code she was breaking, she persisted in breaking it. »

« I simply want to tell you that there are some men in this world who were born to do our unpleasant jobs for us. Your father’s one of them. »

« I waited I thought, Atticus Finch won’t win, he can’t win, but he’s the only man in these parts who can keep a jury ou so long in a case like that. And I thought to myself, well, we’re making a step – it’s just a baby-step, but it’s a step.’ »

« I must soon enter this world, where on its surface fragrant ladies rocked slowly, fanned gently, and drank cool water.
But I was more at home in my father’s world. People like Mr Heck Tate did not trap you with innocent questions to make fun of you ; even Jem was not highly critical unless you said something stupid. Ladies seemed to live in faint horror of men, seemed unwilling to approve wholeheartedly of them. But I liked them. There was something about them, no matter how much they cussed and drank and gambled and chewed ; no matter how undelectable they were, there was something about them that I instinctively liked… they weren’t –
‘Hypocrites, Mrs Perkins, born hypocrites,’ Mrs Merriweather was saying. »

« I guess Tom was tired of white men’s chances and preferred to take his own. »

« Atticus had used every tool available to free men to save Tom Robinson, but in the secret courts of men’s hearts Atticus had no case. Tom was a dead man the minute Mayella Ewell opened her mouth and screamed. »

« Jem was becoming almost as good as Atticus at making you feel right when things went wrong. »

« That was the stillness before the thunderstorm. »

« ‘How’d you know you were under the tree, you couldn’t see thunder out there.’
‘I was barefooted, and Jem says the ground’s always cooler under a tree.’
‘We’ll have to make him a deputy, go ahead.’ »

« His lips parted into a timid smile, and out neighbour’s image blurred with my sudden tears. ‘Hey, Boo, I said. »

« Atticus looked like he needed cheering up. I ran to him and hugged him and kissed him with all my might. »

To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire